The founding of Nichiren Shoshu begins with the birth of Nichiren Daishonin on February 16 in the first year of Jo`o(1222) in the land of Japan. He renounced the world to enter the Buddhist priesthood, and upon the thorough completion of the entire study of Buddhism, on April 28 in the fifth year of Kencho (1253) Nichiren Daishonin – aged 32 – revealed His ultimate realization, the enlightenment of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo, the Supreme Law and Wisdom of the True [Original] Buddha of Kuon-ganjo, and based on this realization made His declaration of the establishment of True Buddhism.
Ever since His declaration, Nichiren Daishonin encountered and endured countless oppressions and persecutions which included a night assault on His life in Kamakura, an execution attempt at Tatsunokuchi and two sentences of banishment. Dauntlessly, He continued the propagation of the Great Law of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo while always continuing with His efforts to raise His disciples and followers and educating and fostering their understanding of Buddhism. On October 12, in the second year of Koan (1279), the Daishonin inscribed the Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of Honmon as the Supreme Object of Worship for the [sake of] eternal prosperity and happiness for all mankind. Following this, the Daishonin appointed Nikko Shonin as the Great Master of Propagation and His legitimate successor, bestowing upon Nikko Shonin all authority about His Buddhism and the Gohonzon. Nichiren Daishonin passed away peacefully on October 13, in the fifth year of Koan (1282).
After the passing of Nichiren Daishonin, Hagiri Sanenaga, the lord of the Minobu area, began to commit various acts of slander which were in direct opposition to the teachings of the Daishonin. Nikko Shonin, as the second head priest of Kuonji Temple at Mount Minobu, in order to protect the True Law and True Teachings bequeathed to him by his Beloved Master, Nichiren Daishonin, was left with no other alternative but to leave Mount Minobu. In the spring of the second year of Sho’o (1289), accompanied by Nichimoku Shonin and his other disciples, Nikko Shonin left Mount Minobu, taking with them the Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of Honmon as well as all the other sacred treasures which belonged to the Daishonin. The following year, in the third year of Sho’o (1290) in October, under the generous support and protection of Nanjo Tokimitsu, Head Temple Taisekiji was founded at the foot of Mt. Fuji in Ueno.
Since that time for the past 700 years, the One and Only True Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin of the infinite past of Kuon-ganjo has been strictly protected and correctly transmitted down through the ages at the Nichiren Shoshu Head Temple Taisekiji.Today all the believers of Nichiren Shoshu throughout the world make pilgrimages to Taisekiji which has developed into a Great Dojo (the place to practice True Buddhism) and a fountainhead for the movement for worldwide Kosen-Rufu.
©1996 Nichiren Shoshu Overseas Bureau
Address: 2057 Kamijo, Fujinomiya, Shizuoka. JAPAN